1) Are you a non-EU citizen and want to enroll in the degree programs of the University of Messina (UniME)?
The pre-enollment procedure starts at the Italian Embassy/Consulate in the country where the degree has been awarded. If your application is accepted, the Consulate will issue a visa on your passport; The deadline for submission of applications is published on the MIUR website each year, generally in March.
2) What Italian or English language certification is required?
A certificate of Italian language (B2 level) issued by the C.L.I.Q. (Certificazione Lingua Italiania di Qualità) system (in case of enrollment to a Master degree programme taught in Italian), or One of the following certificate of English language: TOEFL iBTinternet based (Test of English as a Foreign Language): 87 -109; ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages- Pitman): B2IESOL Communicator; IELTS (International English Language Testing System - University of Cambridge): 5.5- 6.5; ISE (Integrated Skill in English - Trinity College London): B2 ISE II; LCCIEB (London Chamber of Commerce & Industry Examinations Board): Level 5; FCE (First Certificate in English - University of Cambridge) (in case of enrollment to a Master degree programme taught in English).
3) What degree courses are taught in English at UniME?
At the following link you will find the list of Master degree courses taught in English: http://www.unime.it/it/international/studenti-stranieri/studenti-stranieri
4) What are the fees to be paid for enrolling in one of the graduate courses awarded by UniME?
The payment of tuition fees at UNIME for enrolling in one of the graduate courses is 750 euros.
5 ) What is the codice fiscale and where can I get it?
The Tax Code (“codice fiscale”) is a card with a personal code that identifies each person within the Italian State.  The tax identification number provides a means of identification of foreign citizens in their relations with public authorities and other administrations. For individuals, it is determined on the basis of personal data and is made up of an expression of 16 alphanumeric characters. It could be useful to open a bank account, to buy an Italian cell. phone sim card or  to rent a flat.  The tax code is issued by the Agenzia delle Entrate of the Italian Ministery of Economy. The local office is located in Messina, VIA SANTA CECILIA IS.104 N.45/C - tel.: 090/6512053 or 090/2933711- E-mail: dp.messina@agenziaentrate.it-PEC: dp.messina@pce.agenziaentrate.it
 The codice fiscale is usually issued immediately.  The code can also be issued by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
6) Which documents are necessary to obtain the tax code
Citizens from non-EU Countries must submit at least one of the following documents:
  • a valid passport with visa (if required), or any other document accepted by the Italian authorities
  • a certificate of identity issued by the Italian diplomatic or consular authorities of  the Country of nationality (with photo)
  • a valid  residence permit (permesso di soggiorno)
  • an ID card issued by the municipality of residence in Italy.

7) How many days do you need to apply for a residence permit?
Within 8 working  days of arrival, all NON-EU citizens who hold a valid student visa for Italy must apply for a permit of stay for study purposes (Permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).
The permit of stay is issued by the local Police Department- “Questura - Ufficio Stranieri”- of the applicant’s place of residence in Italy, however the applicant must submit their application at a competent Post Office.
8) What documents do I need to hand on arrival?
In order to enroll, on arrival in Messina, you have to hand in to the International Cooperation Unit, the following documents:

  • Declaration of value issued by the Italian Diplomatic/Consular Authority where you started the pre-enrolment and visa application procedure;
  • Transcript of records of previous studies in English or translated into Italian by the Italian Diplomatic/Consular Authority;
  • Family income certified by the Italian Diplomatic/Consular Authority (for the payment of service facilities such as meals, sport facilities, etc.);
  • Visa for study issued by the Italian Diplomatic/Consular Authority.
  • Copy of Passport.

9) Can a foreign student enrolling at Unime use wifi?
If your enrollment at UniMe is confirmed you can use the free wi-fi connection by entering the username: codicefiscale@studenti.unime.it  (codice fiscale = national idetification code given by the Agenzia delle Entrate)  and password: the same that you use to have access to Esse3 system.
10) How much does a foreign student have to pay for using public transport?
With the payment of 30€ (bank transfer - headed to ATM Messina,  payment description  “abbonamento ATM studenti UNIME”)  you will have the opportunity to use any public transport (Tram and Bus).  Remember to hand in a copy of the receipt of payment and the Genius Card at Infopoint Palazzo Mariani to get
11) What is ERSU?
ERSU is an  agency that annually publishes scholarships.
the Regional Agency for the Right to Education (ERSU) provides students with scholarships concerning : 
 - economic support
- accommodation 
- meals
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of personal/family income of the applicant. The ERSU publishes yearly Call for scholarship at the following page http://www.ersu.me.it/borse_studio.htm

12) Is it possible to attend language courses?
The language center of our University (CLAM) organizes Italian language courses for foreign students.
When you are a student you can attend Italian language classes CLAM


  • Segui Unime su:
  • istagram32x32.jpg
  • facebook
  • youtube
  • twitter
  • UnimeMobile
  • tutti