Useful information

How to reach us
The International Relations Unit is located in via Consolato del Mare, 41  - “Palazzo Mariani” - one of the oldest buildings in the city centre  of Messina, close to the Cathedral (see the map below)

Tax code

The Tax Code (“codice fiscale”) is a card with a personal code that identifies each person within the Italian State. It could be useful to open a bank account, to buy an Italian cell. phone sim card or  to rent a flat.

Information on how to obtain tax code can be found at :

If you prefer to obtain the tax code at your arrive in Messina, you have to fill in a request form and apply to the Agenzia delle Entrate and hand in a copy of the Passport or identity Card,  of the “Declaration of Presence” and the Certificate issued by the Municipality of Messina. Non-EU Erasmus students should also bring the valid residence permit. The codice fiscale is usually issued immediately.

The office of Agenzia delle Entrate is located in Via  Santa Cecilia IS.104, 45/C – Messina, tel.: 090/6512053 or 090/2933711

Health insurance
EU citizens
EU students must be sure to have made arrangements for health cover before arriving in Italy. They need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the local Health Authority, which enables them to register freely with the Italian National Health Service. Enrolment with the Italian Health Service also entitles to register with a family doctor and have special discounts. Alternatively, EU citizens may be covered by a private health insurance policy. In this case, they need to bring an official Italian translation of the policy, issued at the Italian Consulate or Embassy in their country, along with a declaration that the insurance will provide complete cover while in Italy.
Non-EU citizens
Health insurance coverage is required in order to obtain your stay permit in Italy.
Non EU Erasmus students can voluntarily register with the National Health System (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - S.S.N.)  by paying a fee per year. Students will be guaranteed all the services enjoyed by Italian nationals. Payment for the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale must be made at the Post Office. Non-EU citizens can purchase an insurance policy in Italy - valid throughout Italy with an Italian or foreign insurance company - which covers sickness, accidents and prenatal care, as well as pregnancy - such as INA Assitalia Insurance but, they will only cover expenses in the event of emergency treatment and / or urgent hospitalization.
In order to register with the S.S.N. Non-EU Erasmus students need to go to the nearest Local Health Unit (Azienda Sanitaria Locale –ASL) with the following documents:

  • passport or identity card
  • stay permit (or postal receipt) if required
  • the tax code (see below). The Italian tax code is a personal code that identifies each person within the Italian State. It is also needed to open a bank account, or to get a cellular phone.

After registering with the S.S.N., non-EU students will be given a Personal Healthcare Card entitling holders to receive medical assistance either without payment or by paying a contribution, which in Italian is called “ticket”. 

Residence permit

If you are planning to come to Italy for short visits, business, tourism or study for a period not exceeding 3 months you are not required to apply for a residence permit.
If you are a non-EU national and plan to come to Italy for a period exceeding three months, you must apply for a residence permit. If it is your first time in Italy, you have 8 days to apply for a residence permit.

To obtain the issue of a residence permit you need:

  • The application form;
  • Your valid passport or any other equivalent travel document bearing an entry visa, if required;
  • A photocopy of your passport or another valid travel document bearing an entry visa, if required;
  • 4 recent and identical passport-size photographs;
  • A €14.62 electronic revenue stamp;
  • Documents supporting your request for the type of residence permit you are applying for.

If you are already in Italy and your residence permit is close to its expiry date, you must apply for renewal at least:

  • 90 days before expiry date if your residence permit is valid for 2 years;
  • 60 days before expiry date if your residence permit is valid for 1 year;
  • 30 days before expiry date in all other cases.

The validity of your residence permit is the same as that indicated on your visa, i.e.:

  • Up to 6 months for seasonal work or up to 9 months for seasonal work in the specific sectors requiring this extension;
  • Up to 1 year if you are attending a duly documented course of study or a vocational training course;
  • Up to 2 years for self-employment, open-ended employment and family reunification.

UniMe presentation

  • Segui Unime su:
  • istagram32x32.jpg
  • facebook
  • youtube
  • twitter
  • UnimeMobile
  • tutti