EU citizens
EU students must be sure to have made arrangements for health cover before arriving in Italy. They need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the local Health Authority, which enables them to register freely with the Italian National Health Service. Enrolment with the Italian Health Service also entitles to register with a family doctor and have special discounts. Alternatively, EU citizens may be covered by a private health insurance policy. In this case, they need to bring an official Italian translation of the policy, issued at the Italian Consulate or Embassy in their country, along with a declaration that the insurance will provide complete cover while in Italy.
Non-EU citizens 
Health insurance coverage is required in order to obtain your stay permit in Italy.
Non-EU  students can voluntarily register with the National Health System (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - S.S.N.)  by paying a fee per year. Students will be guaranteed all the services enjoyed by Italian nationals.
In order to register with the S.S.N. Non-EU students need to go to the nearest Local Health Unit (Azienda Sanitaria Locale –ASL) with the following documents:

  • passport or identity card
  • stay permit (or postal receipt) if required
  • the tax code*.
  • After registering with the S.S.N., non-EU students will be given a Personal Healthcare Card entitling holders to receive medical assistance either without payment or by paying a contribution, which in Italian is called “ticket”.

*Tax Code (“codice fiscale”) is a card with a personal code that identifies each person within the Italian State. It could be useful to open a bank account, to buy an Italian cell. phone sim card or  to rent a flat.
To obtain the tax code you have to fill in a request form and apply to the Agenzia delle Entrate. The codice fiscale is usually issued immediately.
The office of Agenzia delle Entrate is located in Via  Santa Cecilia IS.104, 45/C – Messina, tel.: 090/6512053 or 090/2933711.

Alternatively, non-EU students can purchase a health insurance policy against the risk of illness and injury in their home country. The insurance policy must be valid in Italy and for the entire period of validity of the stay permit and must be validated by the Italian Embassy or Consulate.

Non-EU citizens can also purchase an insurance policy in Italy which covers sickness, accidents and prenatal care, as well as pregnancy, but they will only cover expenses in the event of emergency treatment and / or urgent hospitalization.

  • Segui Unime su:
  • istagram32x32.jpg
  • facebook
  • youtube
  • twitter
  • UnimeMobile
  • tutti