Useful information

The University of Messina (UNIME) was founded in 1548 and is one of the oldest Universities of Southern Italy. The city of Messina, stretching in the northeastern tip of Sicily, provides with sea, historical and naturalistic sites scattered all around the famous Strait connecting Sicily to the Italian mainland.

UNIME has a multicampus structure: four main campuses around the City, plus one of the largest university sport centers in Italy. Departments, Schools, Research Centers, and other structures constitute the cultural, teaching and research nucleus of  UNIME.

How to reach us
The International Relations Unit is located in via Consolato del Mare, 41  - “Palazzo Mariani” - one of the oldest buildings in the city centre  of Messina, close to the Cathedral (see the map below)
Tax code
The Tax Code (“codice fiscale”) is a card with a personal code that identifies each person within the Italian State. It could be useful to open a bank account, to buy an Italian cell. phone sim card or  to rent a flat.
To obtain the tax code you have to fill in a request form and apply to the Agenzia delle Entrate. The codice fiscale is usually issued immediately.
The office of Agenzia delle Entrate is located in Via  Santa Cecilia IS.104, 45/C – Messina, tel.: 090/6512053 or 090/2933711

Health insurance
EU citizens
EU students must be sure to have made arrangements for health cover before arriving in Italy. They need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from the local Health Authority, which enables them to register freely with the Italian National Health Service. Enrolment with the Italian Health Service also entitles to register with a family doctor and have special discounts. Alternatively, EU citizens may be covered by a private health insurance policy. In this case, they need to bring an official Italian translation of the policy, issued at the Italian Consulate or Embassy in their country, along with a declaration that the insurance will provide complete cover while in Italy.
Non-EU citizens 
Health insurance coverage is required in order to obtain your stay permit in Italy.
Non EU  students can voluntarily register with the National Health System (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - S.S.N.)  by paying a fee per year. Students will be guaranteed all the services enjoyed by Italian nationals.
In order to register with the S.S.N. Non-EU students need to go to the nearest Local Health Unit (Azienda Sanitaria Locale –ASL) with the following documents:

  • passport or identity card
  • stay permit (or postal receipt) if required
  • the tax code.
  • After registering with the S.S.N., non-EU students will be given a Personal Healthcare Card entitling holders to receive medical assistance either without payment or by paying a contribution, which in Italian is called “ticket”. 

Stay  permit

Within 8 working  days of arrival, all NON-EU citizens who hold a valid student visa for Italy must apply for a permit of stay for study purposes (Permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).
The permit of stay is issued by the local Police Department- “Questura - Ufficio Stranieri”- of the applicant’s place of residence in Italy, however the applicant must submit their application at a competent Post Office.

UniMe presentation